Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mutton Curry

Mutton seems to have dominated our table this week, its been a long time and so after the Spicy Mutton Fry, I made the curry with some potato cubes in it..........



Boil the mutton pieces(  about 300 gms approx) with some turmeric, pepper powder and salt. Set aside. Similarly , cut a medium sized potato into cubes, cook in the microwave and set aside.
Dry roast 4 tablespoons of coconut, a pinch of fennel seeds, a pinch of cumin seeds , 2-3 whole red chilly and a tsp of black pepper corns.Just browning will do , do not roast it til black. When cooled, grind them to a fine paste.
The only trick in this recipe is to get the gravy right. To make the gravy :
Heat oil in a wok add a teaspoon each of ginger garlic paste and tomato paste and stir well. Add sliced onions about 2 medium sized.Add  half a sliced tomato too and fry well. Now add the coconut paste.

 Add curry leaves , turmeric powder and coriander powder.The pic on the left shows the color of the paste as soon as it is added. And the pic on the right shows the color it should attain and oil should appear at the corners. 
Slowly add the stock first and then loosen up the paste. Then add the cubed potatoes and the mutton. Mix well. Adjust salt at this point and let it simmer . Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
 Serve with rice or rotis............
I link this post to The Kerala Kitchen hosted by Kaveri...

3 comments:

  1. ur curry is awesome..i love non veg curries with potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending me the site of U.A.E gluten free people. I just want you to know that I am not a celiac. I did not even know that I was intolerant but some of the tests showed positive result and I was told to stop gluten. I found myself healthy, fit and more energetic after that. My family and some of my friends now eat less gluten just to keep a healthy life style.

    I cook mutton and I like it spicy like yours but without potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love mutton so much and this curry is making me miss home!

    ReplyDelete